ClipDifferent COVID-19 Position Statement
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is reporting that they are closely monitoring an outbreak caused by a novel, airborne coronavirus COVID-19 first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. According to the CDC, many of the characteristics of this new coronavirus and how it may affect people are still unclear. However, one of the ways in which human coronavirus is most commonly spread is by touching surfaces with the virus on it and then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes. The CDC provides additional information on Symptoms and Diagnosis, Transmission, Prevention, and Treatment of COVID-19 on their website.
It is known that people who bite their nails may catch, colds, the flu, and other infectious diseases more frequently. Fingernails may harbor dirt and germs that contribute to the spread of illness, and appropriate hand hygiene includes diligently cleaning and trimming fingernails.
To help prevent the spread of germs the CDC recommends the following nail hygiene:
- Keep nails short and trim them often.
- Scrub the underside of nails with soap and water (or a nail brush) every time you wash your hands.
- Clean any nail grooming tools before use.
- Avoid biting or chewing nails.
The full CDC nail hygiene recommendation.
Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses, meaning they are one of the easiest to kill with the appropriate disinfectant product. Using disinfectant products on surfaces can help limit the spread of diseases. Remember, nothing is guaranteed to kill an emerging virus. The protocol is to use a disinfectant proven to kill similarly deadly strains. Under this guidance, EPA is providing pesticide registrants with a voluntary process to enable the use of certain EPA-registered disinfectant products against this emerging viral pathogen. For more information, on these efforts and in response to U.S. cases of the virus, please visit the EPA’s website Emerging Viral Pathogens Guidance for Antimicrobial Pesticides.
The ClipDifferent automatic nail trimmer provides the following peace-of-mind benefits during the COVID-19 outbreak that ordinary nail clippers or grinders do not:
- Cuts nails without the need for filing (nail filing and nail grinding can produce airborne particulate which can be inhaled).
- Skin is a natural barrier to keep harmful agents out. ClipDifferent offers a nail cutting solution that is guaranteed not to break the skin.
- ClipDifferent offers a handy nail collection drawer to contain clippings for easy disposal.
- ClipDifferent has a 3rd party laboratory validated disinfection protocol as an extra precaution.
The ClipDifferent family extends heartfelt concern for those impacted by the COVID-19 virus. ClipDifferent cares, and during this time, our commitment to helping nail hygiene remains our highest priority.